Monday, August 08, 2005

do's and don'ts of teenagers

I think someone should write a book about how to setup your kids so they're not screwed over by society.

This comes to me because I see so many 18 and 19 year olds just learning to drive. (like me) and if they would have been driving (or registered with the insurance company as driving) when they're immediately legal; society can't screw them.

So... I learned how to drive (in under a week) 6 months after I turned 18. Went and grabbed a drivers license (passed first time!) and here we go... using the 'rents minivan.

I smashed it a year and a half later. Unfortunately, because we were calling me an "occasional driver" the insurence company didn't have me in their books. Thins ment that I was brand new at that point. Considered to have never driven before.

Which means that I didn't have a record. I had nothing. Starting from scratch and I was in the high risk category.

Sucky.

So... here are some items I wish my parents would have beaten into me (or forced me to do) so I would be better setup not to be screwed by society. -- or some things I see other parents not doing thats stupid.

1) the whole driving as soon as elegable thing - as noted above.

2) established credit and forced savings.

I was older, had a job... but I learned how to spend every cent I made. I made it? I spent it. Managed to save up some money for school... got tired of that and spent it all.

This resulted in little common-sence education in how to manage finances. I'm still poor at it (which you can tell by the amount of money each month I have to spend vs. how much I apply to previously generated debt. - With all that money, I could have bought a house by now.)

3) learn on something crappy... so that when you get good, you can buy something nice and not destroy it.

My first car was a '97 saturn. Thats right... I got a good job right out of Post-seccondary... and bought a beautiful car.

What happened? I was an idiot driver, not stupid; just unexperianced. I smashed up my beautifull car. Thats not the way to enter into adult-hood debt free.

What did I do? Did I learn? Nope!

I bought an almost brand new motorcycle.

I've smashed it twice now... get the picture?

4) manners

Going to my first office christmas party; we hit up this seriously posh mens club. We're talking your standard lunch involving either the words "crab" or "truffles".

Instead of sitting with my table, I stand up and mingle. They call whatever table I'm with, I just go up grab some food. Get back to my table and I look like an unclassed kid. Valuable points were lost I had to make up later.

---

Not only that but what fork do you use for what occasion? had to find that out the hard way.

When do you start eating? Another bad day for my stock.

I understand the concept of respect, but how do you show it? not to make people feel uncoumfortable, but to choose your place in society (instead of having it dictated for you) and fit in where-ever/ whenever. There are rules that other people know. No one told me and I've broken 80-90% of them before I discovered what they were.

5) style

The words "blue and green should never be seen". I've been wearing whatever I want whenever I want, sorta guessing at what looks good and what doesn't. I'd never heard anything about clothing etiquite until my 3rd year as a professional IT guy. Asked an older gent. about something I was wearing... all this knowledge came out.

Whats the deal with white and labour day? No clue. Do you wear white pants with white shoes? do you need black socks?

What about same colored shirt and pants? If they're an off color?

Important!

5) Highschool. - non useless classes

(Basically that people take usless stupid classes in highschool. Instead of taking advantage of all that government funded instruction; they just want to get through it. I'm not talking about senior matriculation; but typing and culniary arts. Typing for me has come in so much use... through out work and further school. -- like this blog for example.)

6) seccond language

Everyone grows up thinking "wow, I wish I could understand what that new guy is saying". Struggling to learn another language on our own time. School? good time to do it. (unless your using "a seccond language" class to meet girls.)

7) piano lessons

I took music lessons when I was little... but you always see people on a piano and just respect their poise and ability. I do.

8) swimming lessons

If your ever in a plane and it crashes over the ocean... your gonna die. What if you could swim some (instead of sink)? then you would be able to watch other people drown before you drown. How much cooler is that? (or maybe you might not die? )

9) scout survival stuff

Thats a goal of myne. To learn how to survive. Not just "a bear is attacking you" type of survival; but how to start a fire without anything; whats edible. Last outdoors ninja course I took, we covered some edible plants. Like cat tails... They taste just like cucumber and the sap can be used like novacain. Awesome!

10) first aid

Learning about the body is always good. No matter what. I have a body... I'm sure you have a body. As its been my life's goal to learn how to use my body better; its also a good idea to learn what to do when you fuck up.

11) cooking lessons

Nothing impresses a girl like cooking her dinner. Nothing is cooler than not eating this McDonalds crap we're presented with every day. Not to mention your package pasta's (with instant just add milk and some butter sauce... that can't be good for you.).

Natural, real food makes nautural real people.

Who would want to live on the coast and not have their kids learn how to fish?

-----

And here is a list of a few things my parents did that I rather appreciate.

1) Did not baptise me.

Thank GOD! the choice of who to follow, what to believe was handed down to me. Not to say that I chose righteous over evil, but I think I've been doing very good.

Just I wouldn't have been able to see some things if my soul had been pledged into his service like a mother passing on her child as a slave.

Not that its wrong to be a christian / catholic / whatever; just that some people chafe at the bond they're forced into.

2) Did not circumsize me.

I'm 100% whole. YES!

(they say the most sensitive part of a man's um... friend is in his foreskin. This is something I get to enjoy the rest of my life. Not to mention the words "sunburn proof". Without it... there is potential for disaster.)

3) please see number 2... seriously - Thanks!

--

Ok; so my imagination is lacking in this one... but you get the drift. There are good things and bad things that are really cool for kids to learn. That way they turn into cool adults instead of just lacking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home