Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The other office - again

I did a trip to our other office for an "emergency" again.

Jumped on the bike, rode for 3 or so hours to do a half hours work and jumped on to ride back.

A word of advice to the world at large... if your thinking about riding at night on a bike and its raining... get a hotel; relax and ride out in the morning.

You could save a life.

The cloud cover was low, it was late and I was just heading out.

Waterproofed myself (after last trip, I would be an idiot to not have the right gear for this) and went away.

For the first half hour or so... it was just the threat of rain... sorta sprinkling on and off for a few minutes at a time... everything is ok!

Then the sun dissapeared and the rain came in earnist.

Not being able to see on a bike, being moderately tired for a day's of work and a few hours of riding under my belt... portends suckiness.

The real catch was when the wind hit.

On multiple occasions I was almost blown off the road; without any traction or hope of getting any.

I managed to find a car heading in the same direction; but was going minorly fast. (130-160Km/h) Was following him for at least an hour and a half (until my nerves gave out) just to make sure I knew where the road exists in front of me. (if he went off... sure as shit I was going off too)

Stopped mid way; was shuddering, white and exhausted. The lady at Timhortons gave me a free cup of English Toffee (or something like that) when I was fiddling for my wallet. (yeah, I didn't really have the ability to operate my hands at that point. Zippers are such a nuiscence when you can't grab that little tab-guy) Got back on the bike and kept going.

Every once in a while a man gets the oppourtunity to say "I did it!" with some semblance of joy. That the sheer fact he started at one point and finished at another is a triumph over nature.

This was one of those moments...

I should stop making a habit of this.

2 Comments:

Blogger Budgie said...

I can't wait until I get a bike.

Probably wont be for a long time the way things are going.

Care to take me for a ride anytime soon ? :P

7:41 PM

 
Blogger Ms. Poshlust said...

Dearest Captain -

Haven't heard from you in a while - have something for you - will have to wait until I return, too awkward to mail. Is completely you. Hope you're well - back in Canada the 1st of September (I think.. haven't worked out the date change!) Can't wait to see you. Can't wait for clean air. E-mail me. Miss you.

A.

1:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home