Wednesday, March 16, 2005

The power

So... I've had a question for a long time... and I still have problems putting it into words.

I have power. Power over others, power over myself and power over my environment. But why do I have this power? and what good does it do to have this power?

I was sitting in the bus stop today after work, nice heated area; completely weather proof. Signs all over saying "no smoking, bylaw #something".

Two kids were inside the bus shelter smoking.

Now all due respect, they were blowing out through the door; but their smokes were still inside being all smokey.

I couldn't smell the smoke, and I was standing right beside them. Didn't like it much, but didn't really care, so I moved a little ways away and sat down.

Was thinking "I should really do something about this." As soon as that thought left my head, this old guy walked up to them, started calling them names. Told them to go and smoke outside. Said that its against the law and it was killing him.

As he didn't approach the situation right, they got upset, started calling him names. It was apperant that this was going to happen for quite some time... so I stood up and calmly said "I'm sorry, but it was bothering me as well." (I actually look quite intimidating some times) They looked at me, decided it was in their best interest to be outside. (there is more, but its just too much verbage, this covers the important part anyways)

Now... I didn't act. The old man acted and it almost got him gang banged by some punk ass kids (probably 16-17 years old).

My point is, I have this 'power' (or ability - not like a super power... but the power to initiate contact and to follow through with a deterring action if my suggestions aren't appreciated)

And I was given this power because if I don't act, situations will be resolved with unsatisfactory results.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home