Wednesday, April 27, 2005

breaking revisited

I did my very first breakdancing show tonight.

For the first nations. We're training at a native canadian place sponcered by the first nations... and I think I'm one of two people who are straight white there.

Which is cool. I've never met more cool people than here.

So we did this little dance thing for their heritage celebration thing. It was horrid! Two nights before we finally figured out our routine. Changed it last night. Practiced it once tonight.

Before we get on the stage, the instructor is like "oh and by the way... you have to do a solo each" we sorta etch out an order... get to the stage, music starts playin...

A girl starts counting down and all of a sudden all hell breaks loose.

The count isn't on the right beat. She tells us to do something other than what we've been planning. We all fumble through our routine... get in a line sorta keep the beat... do our little things.

It was a gong show. Felt weird... but good weird.

Afterwards, the owner of the establishment we train at... he's like "see me before you leave."

So... we stay, watch the rest of the show. I got to drum on a huge (like 1 meter wide) drum for a buffallo dance (I think)... was totally rad. Watched the Red Power Squad (who are all wicked awesome breakdancers) do their thing.

Go to leave and the man walkes up, pulls a 20 out of his wallet and says "here is a little something for dancing with us tonight."

I'm like "no no no..." Here is this non-profit org. paying me for a 2 minute set that didn't work well... and I have an awesome job, I make pretty decent coin...

I looked him in the eyes and almost started crying.

It was the most symbolic thing I've seen/felt in quite some time.

*smile*

It wasn't much, but he was saying thanks. That... the handshake... the eye contact... it hit home very hard.

I hugged the man.

A good night.

There is this sorta cute girl (it always breaks down to girls) there... she smokes - so no chance of a relationship... but we could be friends...

I was going to my bike, was called into this donair shop. Her and two friends were inside.

Acting like morons too. There was this wicked awesome lebaneese guy behind the counter; didn't speak english very well.

Kids. Clearly 17 or so. Street kids with no manners. One guy was humping the chair looking for attention. The girl was trying to get this guys attention by dancing for him to the music.

*sad smile*

nothing makes me more angry and frustrated like disrespect.

I helped the guy out. Became his friend, I guess.

I've always believed its the small moments that make us worth while...

Tonight. Many small things came together. Made me proud to be me.

(and yeah... I'm a really bad breaker... but I'll get better)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home