Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Bobsledding

In response to comments from the previous blog;

Budgie;
I'm not in NWT anymore; sitting on the north tip of the Canadian Rockies. I swear it never stops snowing up here. Today it was +5 during the day; last night it stormed and snowed a foot; this evening the shack I'm in is almost shaking with the wind... when I went outside to pee (i love peeing outside!) the snow was up to the top of my boots. (so knee deep)

Beefer;
I have my videocamera out here; but never seem to find the time to use it on anything. *smile* which is funny because my job's main task is sitting around doing nothing.

It is Amazing! up here though. Sometime closer to spring, I'm going to drive down 10 km's to a waterfall trail I found today driving back from town.

Speaking about which; I went bobsledding this morning.

How? In a 3/4tonne 4x4 pickup down a 10km mountain road.

I did a breaks test early on; discovered that there is no chance of stopping; never mind backing up or turning around and getting back to safety. Oops!

Let me describe it for you. A very steep inclined twisty road which has just been covered with 6 inches of wet snow. The snow was the perfect type for snowballs etc; unfortunately, its also the type which leaves a layer of water underneeth after it gets scooped up.

So above the ice/gravel was near freezing water.

I'm rolling down at 40km/h and figure to do a breaks check as a sharp turn is coming up.

Touch the breaks and my truck turns sideways.

The only way to navigate a road such as this is to break as hard as you can while straight; then gas through every corner; to pull your vehicle... hoping there's ample room to slow down before having to gas again.

What fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home